Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC) represents local councils in Greater Western Sydney. WSROC advocates on behalf of its councils and their residents to ensure equity in infrastructure and services, to promote liveability and quality of life. It seeks to deliver value to councils through regional collaboration in coordinated procurement, IP and shared services, and manages a number of regional projects funded jointly by its members or from external sources.
WSROC will advocate in unified terms on key issues of value to Greater Western Sydney through lobbying and relations with other organisations and by the effective use of:
- A single unified voice for Western Sydney
- Common goals and strength of numbers
- Speaking on behalf of all councils
- A bipartisan approach
- Strong, positive and regular communication with the NSW and Commonwealth Government and their agencies
- The identification and promotion of common themes and issues
WSROC’s Priorities focusing on greater consideration for the most vulnerable in the region, including aiming for:
- Better social and affordable housing outcomes for Greater Western Sydney
- Economic development and local job creation
- Comprehensive transport solutions
- Emissions reduction and energy efficiency
- Improved waste management and resource recovery
- Urban heat resilience and emergency management
- Increased financial resilience of councils, and
- To ensure new development includes provision for adequate social infrastructure, parks, and community spaces.
Current projects include:
- Western Sydney Regional Waste Strategy
- Western Sydney Energy Program
- Turn Down the Heat (addressing extreme heat)
- Western Sydney Business Investment Program
WSROC has committed to the following Cities Power Partnership pledges:
- Regional collaboration – Accelerate the electrification of transport in Western Sydney by working with councils across the region to deliver the Western Sydney EV Roadmap and EV Masterplan for Western Sydney.
- Regional Collaboration – Support the uptake of low-cost renewable energy and storage by households and businesses within Western Sydney by working with Western Sydney councils to extend the Western Sydney Energy Program.
- Knowledge exchange – Support the acceleration of local government climate action throughout Australia by sharing relevant knowledge and tools developed by WSROC with other Cities Power Partnership member councils.
- Scaling action – Engage with Cities Power Partnership member councils to identify opportunities to collaborate on projects related to sustainable transport, clean energy and environmentally sustainable development.
- Advocacy – Work with the Cities Power Partnership in advocating for the improvement of planning instruments and controls to support environmentally sustainable design in the built environment and the uptake of electric vehicles.