The Warrnambool community has set ambitious environmental goals, among them is to be a carbon neutral city by 2040. Being a part of the Cities Power Partnership will help us get there.
Council has chosen the following pledges
Install renewable energy (solar PV and battery storage) on council buildings.
Provide incentives and/or remove barriers to encourage local businesses to take up solar power and battery storage.
Support local community renewable energy projects, and encourage investment in community energy.
Opening up unused council managed land for renewable energy.
Set city-level renewable energy or emissions reduction targets.
What council has achieved in the past in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
Warrnambool City Council has committed to be the most environmentally sustainable regional city in Australia and endorsed the Green Warrnambool plan which is a roadmap for creating our environmentally sustainable and resilient future.
Council has implemented multiple energy efficiency and renewable energy projects at Council buildings. Warrnambool City Council is on track to achieve its 30% carbon emission reduction of the 2008 levels by 2020, this has been possible due projects like:
- Great South Coast Smart Street Lighting Project; during 2015 Council replaced 1833 mercury vapour street lights with energy efficient LEDs. This project has enabled Council to reduce an estimated 600 tonnes of carbon emissions per year.
- LED retrofit across different buildings within the organization.
- PV solar generation installed at 13 different buildings.
- Energy audits and energy monitoring across Council larger buildings.
- In 2010 Council facilitated a solar bulk buy program which result on 145 households participating in the program.
What council hopes to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
Warrnambool City Council has established ambitious environment and sustainability goals at organisational and municipal levels, our vision is to reach carbon neutrality in 2040 (City wide).
- Council will review the Warrnambool Climate Change Action Plan and prepare a Warrnambool Zero 2040 Plan.
- Warrnambool City Council is committed to produce its energy from renewable sources. Council will we continue to investing in renewable energy, energy efficiency and low carbon emission initiatives.
- Council will continue to educate and promote community initiatives through a series of workshops, incentives and other community events.
- Warrnambool City Council seeks to raise community awareness of sustainability including; energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport and how the community can contribute.
What council hopes to gain from being a member of the Cities Power Partnership
Warrnambool City Council hopes to establish a network with other Councils to share initiatives and best practices example to tackle climate change. We believe that working collaboratively is fundamental to reaching our goals, Cities Power Partnership offers the space where knowledge, initiatives and potential issues can be shared, we hope to learn from others as well as share our knowledge and experience on climate change and renewable energy initiatives.