Shire of Donnybrook Balingup
Is a Power Partner
“The Shire of Donnybrook Balingup includes land uses primarily based on agriculture and forestry, so conserving our natural areas has always been a focus for the Shire and the community. The Shire of Donnybrook Balingup is already heavily committed to waste minimisation and long-term environmental sustainability. In joining the Cities Power Partnership, we hope to expand and build on our commitment to renewable energy and sustainable transport.”
Partnership Action Pledge
Our power partners are committed to switching to non-polluting energy and reducing emissions in their communities.
Install renewable energy (solar PV and battery storage) on Council buildings.
Roll out energy efficient lighting across the municipality.
Encourage sustainable transport use such as public transport, walking and cycling through council transport planning and design.
Support cycling through provision of adequate cycle lanes, bike parking and end-of-ride facilities.
Set up meetings and attend events to work with other cities on tackling climate change. Such events include the Community Energy Congress or the Cities Power Partnership Summit where like minded cities can address common concerns and learn from others’ experience.
Shire of Donnybrook Balingup
What council has achieved in the past in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
The Shire of Donnybrook Balingup (Shire) has undertaken multiple projects with an aim to improve energy efficiency through renewable energy and to promote sustainable transport. Below is a list of some of the Shire’s past projects:
- Installing a thermal pool blanket at the local recreational pool to improve energy efficiency
- Installing solar PV system on the Shire administration building as a more sustainable alternative and to reduce energy usage
- Joining environmental initiatives such as Responsible Cafes, this promotes reusable coffee cups
- Installing solar powered lights in parks
- Integrating pathways in new designs to promote sustainable transport eg; walking and cycling
- The Shire has installed 10Kw solar panels at the Recreation Centre taking the facility to 30Kw of solar generation
- Supporting multiple environmental community groups with eco-tourism
- Working with local schools to promote sustainability and encourage an environmental focus with tree planting days and rehabilitation programs
What council hopes to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
In the long-term, the Shire hope to minimise our impact on the environment and promote a sustainable future. The following outlines ways in which the Shire hopes to achieve this:
- Implement energy efficient lighting
- Implement sustainable transport in new designs
- Encourage cycling through adequate provision of services
What council hopes to gain from being a member of the Cities Power Partnership
Joining the Cites Powers Partnership will provide the Shire with numerous networking opportunities for our Officers to share innovative ideas and solutions on sustainability with other Local Governments.
This partnership also reaffirms the Shire’s commitment to sustainable solutions in working towards climate change mitigation.
Through pledging to undertake five actions as part of the Cities Power Partnership program, these actions will provide the Shire with climate change goals that we will continuously work towards achieving.