Council has committed to the following Cities Power Partnership pledges
Install renewable energy (solar PV and battery storage) on council buildings.
Adopt best practice energy efficiency measures across all council buildings, and support community facilities to adopt these measures.
Power council operations by renewable energy, and set targets to increase the level of renewable power for council operations over time.
Support community facilities to access renewable energy through incentives, support or grants.
- Installation of renewable energy (solar PV and battery storage) in Council buildings and offices
- Council buildings have been fitted with 237kw of solar panels to date
- New Sustainability Unit established
- Sustainability Hub featuring community garden and workshops established
What Council hopes to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability:
- To put into effect priorities identified in Muswellbrook Shire Council’s Community Strategic Plan 2017-2027. Considerations include improving resource consumption and assisting the community in improving resilience to climate related vulnerability
- To identify local environmental sustainability issues including climate change, loss/re-establishment and rehabilitation of native vegetation and vegetation connectivity and restoration of riparian waterways
What Council hopes to gain from being a member of the Cities Power Partnership Program:
- Muswellbrook Shire Council has joined the Cities Power Partnership for mentoring and partnerships, access to the CPP knowledge hub, webinars and climate council experts
- Muswellbrook Shire council believes that by working together Councils will be more effective in identifying strategies to assist the community in reducing energy consumption