Is a Power Partner
Mosman Council has declared a Climate Change Emergency and is taking the pledge to tackle climate change in the Mosman civic and community area. Mosman is delighted to join the Cities Power Partnership. Mosman Council is committed to reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and build our community’s capacity to reduce household and retail emissions. Our community is motivated to take action to tackle climate change and care for our unique and precious flora and fauna, and to sustain the earth’s ecosystem for generations to come.
Council has committed to the following Cities Power Partnership pledges
Install renewable energy (solar PV and battery storage) on council buildings.
Power council operations by renewable energy, and set targets to increase the level of renewable power for council operations over time.
Develop education and behaviour-change programs to support local residents and businesses to tackle climate change through clean energy, energy efficiency and sustainable transport.
Support the local community to develop capacity and skills to tackle climate change.
Encourage sustainable transport use such as public transport, walking and cycling through council transport planning and design.
What council has achieved in the past in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
- Council declared a Climate Emergency in November 2019.
- Council has upgraded the lighting in its largest Council buildings to energy-efficient LED lighting.
- Mapping and protection of over 300 urban trees and planting of 5000 ground cover and shrubs
- Continued bushland restoration of 35 hectares of bushland
- Continued support of car share
What council hopes to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
- In 2020 we are developing a Climate Strategy and Action Plan based on current science to prioritise meaningful action by Council to reduce the impacts of climate change. This will involve extensive community consultation and the plan will represent both current and future community values including aspirational targets
- Further solar installation on Council buildings
- Encouragement for wider residential solar installation
- Further development of active transport routes
- Increased composting – heavily subsidised compost bins available to each resident
What council hopes to gain from being a member of the Cities Power Partnership
Participating in the Cities Power Partnership forms an integral part of Mosman Council’s ongoing commitment to reducing carbon emissions and protecting our unique natural environment for current and future generations.
Mosman Council stands ready to align local and regional sustainability initiatives with the view to achieving long term partnerships that put climate action at the forefront of all our endeavours.