What council has achieved in the past in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
Monash has achieved a number of successes in the past including:
- Street lighting upgrades which saw the rollout of 8,200 energy-efficient lights across Monash, with the $3.3 million project Council’s largest-ever environmental initiative.
- Setting up an Environmental Upgrade Finance program, providing commercial buildings or property owners in Monash a pathway to access long-term low-interest loan that helps fund upgrades to improve their building’s environmental performance
- Supporting renewable energy bulk buys for the community
- Adopting an environmentally sustainable development (ESD) policy in the local planning scheme
What council hopes to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport or broader sustainability
Monash is currently working towards:
- Setting a science-based emissions reduction target for Council and community
- Setting a renewable energy target for Council
- Utilising an energy performance contract (EPC)
- Establishing a policy for Council’s own new builds to have minimum energy efficiency and sustainability standards
- Training staff in fuel efficient driving techniques
What council hopes to gain from being a member of the Cities Power Partnership
With so many councils across Australia working to similar goals, Cities Power Partnership provides a great platform to connect, share knowledge and learn from others. By being a member of the Partnership, Monash will be well placed to make the transition it needs to shift to a more sustainable, clean energy future.