Hunter Joint Organisation
Is a Power Partner
“As the first region in Australia to have all Councils become members of the Cities Power Partnership, it makes sense that the Hunter is also the first region that has committed to a Partnership Agreement. As a region currently facing the challenges and opportunities of an economic evolution, it is important that the councils through the Hunter JO are collaborating on shared objectives in this space. This partnership will enable the Cities Power Partnership, the Hunter JO, and our ten Member Councils to support each other through collaboration, advocacy, and knowledge sharing.”
Council has selected the following climate pledges
Hunter Joint Organisation has worked with the Cities Power Partnership to develop the following pledges.
Regional collaboration – Support regional collaboration around Electric Vehicles by assisting member councils to identify opportunities and work together in delivering solutions.
Regional collaboration – Support the region’s evolution to a clean energy future by facilitating regional collaboration, planning and project delivery and/or information sharing.
Advocacy – Work with the Cities Power Partnership to amplify local government priorities and advocate to state and federal government to improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions in the Hunter region.
Knowledge exchange – Support collaboration within and outside the Hunter region by sharing knowledge and learning with the Cities Power Partnership network.
Hunter Joint Organisation
About the Hunter JO’s Regional Partnership
The Hunter Joint Organisation is a collaborative body that brings together the ten councils in the Hunter region to provide a united and local voice for their communities. Their work includes advocacy, program delivery, and network collaboration with all levels of government, industry, and community.
This partnership represents the first regional partnership in Australia and its purpose is to establish a collaborative relationship between Cities Power Partnership and the Hunter JO that will enable the two organisations to work towards shared objectives through mutually agreed activities.
Partnering with the Cities Power Partnership will assist in the amplification of the efforts of, and support effective engagement with, the Hunter JO’s Member Councils. It will enable wide-scale knowledge and practical experience sharing, promote collaborative opportunities to influence policy directions, and align advocacy and communications across the Hunter region.
The Hunter JO’s Member Councils’ Regional Priorities
- Regional Electric Vehicle Charging Strategy and provision of fast-charging infrastructure throughout key locations.
- Ensuring Council fleet purchases meet strict greenhouse gas emissions requirements and support the uptake of electric vehicles.
- Supporting and encouraging Community based Renewable Energy.
- Supporting and encouraging Council based Renewable Energy.
- Supporting and facilitating amendments to planning laws and controls to encourage community and industry to adopt renewable energy.
- Facilitating advocacy and coordinating business cases that address tensions and reluctance around initiatives.
Hunter JO Projects
- Climate Change IP&R – The Climate Change Integrated Planning and Reporting (IP&R) Package provides support and guidance to Councils during the development of their Community Strategic Plan (CSP), Delivery Program and Operational Plan. This guide supports Councils’ and their communities’ climate change journey by providing user friendly, practical tools and templates to embed climate change throughout the IP&R process.
- Net Zero Acceleration – The Hunter JO has received funding under the Joint Organisation Net Zero Acceleration grant, facilitated by the Office of Energy and Climate Change, within NSW Treasury. This grant funds a Net Zero Coordinator at the Hunter JO dedicated to building the capability and capacity of our Member Councils in their progression towards net zero.
- Hunter Circular – Transitioning to a circular economy will play a vital role in completing the picture of emissions reduction by transforming the way we make and use products. The Hunter JO is leading a suite of initiatives to accelerate the Hunter and Central Coast Region toward a Circular Economy. Visit Hunter Circular to learn more.