What has Douglas Shire Council achieved in the past in energy efficiency, renewable energy or broader sustainability
Douglas Shire Council continues to be committed to playing its role in the mitigation of climate change, particularly around maintaining important carbon sinks, including protecting and increasing areas of rainforest, riparian vegetation wetlands and mangroves; as well as by reducing carbon emissions.
Council is using solar energy at different Council buildings and is exploring more options to increase the level of renewable power for its operations. Additionally, the Council is adopting energy efficiency measures to reduce energy usage, carbon footprint and also reduce operational costs.
With over 100 km of coastline, Douglas community values its coastal region. For climate change adaptation, the Council was the first in Queensland to develop a Resilient Coast Strategic Plan. The plan outlines actions to mitigate coastal hazards related to climate change, sea level rise, cyclones and coastal erosion.
What does Douglas Shire Council hope to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy or broader sustainability
Council has committed to undertaking actions under a Corporate Sustainability Strategy. The strategy provides a framework and identifies priorities for Council’s operations under Council’s Sustainable Principles, which are:
- Preserve and restore the natural environment
- Utilise resources efficiently
- Protect and enhance biodiversity
- Monitor and reduce Council’s environmental footprint
- Strengthen Council’s resilience to climate change
- Display strong environmental leadership
Actions under the principles include, but are not limited to:
- Improving energy efficiency
- Utilising renewable energy
- Supporting sustainable transportation
- Managing water and waste
- Improving environmental quality, habitat protection and biodiversity
- Engaging with government departments on sustainability-related principles
- Working with partnerships on environmental issues
- Implementing community consultation and education on sustainability initiatives