What Council has achieved in energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainability
We have invested in energy efficiencies in Council, and across the City. Some include:
- Installation of LED lighting and more energy-efficient HVAC (heating ventilation and air-conditioning) in Council buildings and offices
- Installation of energy-efficient lighting in CBD car parks
- Fitting over 100kW of solar panel systems on community buildings, libraries and council work depots
- Implementing the Our Energy Future program with other Sydney councils to engage, educate and inform residents about energy efficiency and opportunities for solar energy
- Working with the member councils of the Southern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (SSROC) on renewable energy planning
- Continuing to work with other Sydney councils to accelerate the introduction of new energy-efficient street lighting
What we hope to achieve in energy efficiency or renewable energy or broader sustainability
We want to be a catalyst and facilitator for a resilient and sustainable future. We are currently working to reduce our overall energy consumption, while also increasing the production of clean renewable energy; and demonstrating the local opportunities that are available, affordable and achievable.
Why we joined the Cities Power Partnership program
The Cities Power Partnership Program will support our collaboration with other councils, providing access to reliable and current information and experiences specific to local councils and communities. Working together provides a stimulus to accelerate our efforts on the journey to a more sustainable and energy-efficient future.