Council has selected the following climate pledges
Some examples of sustainability initiatives that Council has delivered in the past:
- Signed the NSW Mayor’s Agreement on Climate Change
- Committed to an Environmental Sustainability Policy which presents 4 key principles which need to be considered for all Council activities
- Supported Landcare groups in their activities to care for the local environment
- Instigated #sustainabilitysunday on our Facebook page to encourage environmental awareness in the community
- A partner in regional waste management and recycling initiatives
What Council hopes to achieve in the future in energy efficiency, renewable energy or broader sustainability
The long-term sustainability goals of our community have been captured in our 2016-2036 Community Strategic Plan. These goals include becoming more efficient in our energy use as an organisation, developing infrastructure which supports sustainable transport, supporting the development of renewable energy facilities where appropriate, and encouraging community and local businesses to reduce their own carbon footprint including reduction of waste to landfill.
Why Council joined the Cities Power Partnership
Yass Valley Council saw the benefits of being a partner, in particular, learning from other Councils who have instituted similar projects to those we are planning. Looking at previous successful examples will help our projects to be as effective and efficient as possible. We can also share our learnings in return.
The CPP provides us with the opportunity to focus on activities that will help us reduce our carbon and ecological footprint, achieve the community’s aspirations identified by the strategies in our 2016- 2036 Regional Community Strategic Plan and implement actions adopted by Council in its 2017-2018 Delivery Program.