Your council has an opportunity to be recognised nationally, and globally in the lead up to and during the upcoming COP26 meeting in Glasgow UK, by joining other leading cities, businesses, NGOs, and others calling for greater ambition on climate action and resilience.
How to get involved
- Better Futures Australia Declaration: The Cities Power Partnership has teamed up with Better Futures Australia who has organised a joint statement of leaders across society and the economy to publicly push for more ambitious climate action from the federal government. Sign the statement now.
- Cities Race to Zero Campaign: Cities Race to Zero Campaign is an international campaign, supported by the UNFCCC and UK Government, for local government to showcase climate leadership and gain international recognition at COP26. It is a network of cities committed to setting science-based targets and implementing inclusive and resilient climate action ahead of and beyond the COP26 in Glasgow. Find out more information and how you can get involved here.
- Cities Race to Resilience: Cities Race to Resilience is a global campaign to mobilise action on climate resilience ahead of COP26. The campaign calls attention to the urgent need to build global climate resilience in a way that prioritises people and nature, and enables vulnerable communities to thrive in spite of climate shocks and stresses. Find out more here.
Benefits of joining
There are many benefits for your council in signing up to these campaigns, including:
- further recognition nationally and internationally as a leading city for climate action; including at the National Better Futures Australia Forum, and Race to Zero / Race to Resilience events.
- a way for those already involved in the Global Covenant of Mayors to nominate new science-based targets and accelerate action.
- an opportunity to join with Australian cities and other sectors, advocating together in 2021 (and beyond) for stronger national commitments on climate change, including, recognition of and support for local climate programs.
- support in communicating your climate commitment to your community, including recognition on the Better Futures Australia website and a Race to Zero logo that can be added to your website in the lead up to COP26.
- access to the technical and operational support to plan, implement and report on climate action in line with the Paris Agreement.
If you’d like more information, reach out to us at [email protected]